Skip to main content

Full text of "These storied walls : an historical sketch of Mount Olivet United Methodist Church, 1803-2003"

See other formats


JOYNER UBRARY- 



These Storied Walls: 

An Historical Sketch of 
Mount Olivet United Methodist Church, 1803-2003 




Clarence E. Horton Jr. 



Bicentennial Sunday 
7 September 2003 



This Revised Edition 
of "These Storied Walls," 
was published September 2003 
by the author 
in an edition of 200 copies 
for Bicentennial Sunday 2003. 
The First Edition was 
published May 1984 
by the author 
in an edition of 100 copies 
for Homecoming 1984. 



These Storied Walls: 
An Historical Sketch of 
Mt. Olivet United Methodist Church, 1803-2003^ 

by Clarence E. Horton Jr. 

-oOo- 

The Coming of the Methodists 

The close of the eighteenth century was a time of vast change and movement. Scots-Irish and German 
settlers flocked jfrom New Jersey, Peimsylvania, Maryland, and Virginia through the Shenandoah Valley of 
Virginia and down the Great Wagon Road mto the Carolina backcountry. Some came from South Carolina 
and Georgia, following roads through the Pee Dee- Yadkin basin. The Presbyterian and Lutheran Church (as 
well as the kindred German Reformed Church) were well established in western North Carolina, and the 
Baptists and Quakers had strong churches in some areas, but the Methodist itinerant preachers joyfully 
accepted the challenge of bringing the Gospel message to the wilderness settlements. 

In 1778, the Roanoke, Tar River, and New Hope Circuits were formed from the original North Carolina 
Circuit of 1776. When Andrew Yeargan was sent into the valley of the Yadkin in 1780 to establish the work 
there, Cabarrus County had not yet been set off from Mecklenburg and Stanly County was a part of 
Montgomery; Davie and Davidson were still a part of Rowan County. The new Yadkin Circuit generally 
encompassed the entire State of North Carolina west of Guilford County. 

By 1783, the Yadkin Circuit in 1780 had mcreased from 21 to 348 members and another circuit was needed. 
The Salisbury Circuit was formed with Beverly Allen, James Foster, and James Hinton as pastors. The new 
Circuit apparently included Rowan County (including those portions that became Iredell, Davie, and 
Davidson Counties); the part of Surry County which later became Stokes and Forsyih; and portions of 
Cabarrus, Randolph, and Montgomery lying west of the Uwharrie-Pee Dee River System. In 1789, Daniel 
Asbury and John McGee began the work of forming the Lincoln Circuit, which included portions of Burke, 
Rutherford, Lincoki, and Mecklenburg (including future Cabarrus) Counties in North CaroUna; and portions 
of York, Spartanburg, and Union Districts in South Carolina. 

The rivers which crossed North Carolina made east-west travel difficult, and settlers in Piedmont North 
Carolina found it easier to trade with neighbors in South Carolina and Virginia than with those in eastern 
North Carolina. Thus, from 1785 to 1800, Methodism rapidly spread from Charleston, South Carolina, into 
North Carolina's southern tier of counties. Territory east of the Pee Dee River was released to the North 
Carolina Conference in 1850; not until 1870 was the area west of the Pee Dee released by the South Carolina 
Conference. That territory included Mecklenburg, Cabarrus, Stanly, Anson and other counties. 

It is difficult today to imagine the obstacles faced by the early frontier ministers. Most lived on fried bacon 
and com bread, often eaten cold and in the saddle; they slept on dirt floors or on pine slabs if they were 
fortunate enough to find a friendly hearth. Many met them with dislike, some with outright abuse. Their 
numbers included frail, scholarly men who must have shuddered at the thought of the trackless wilderness 
before them. Yet it could be said of most of them, as Bishop Coke did of Hope Hull: "Mr. Hull is young, but 
is indeed a flame of fire. He appears always on the stretch for the salvation of souls." 



Beginnings 



In 1784, Jesse Lee, a powerful and charismatic minister who served as Chaplain to the House of 
Representatives in Washington from 1809 to 1815, and who introduced Methodism into New England in 
1790, was sent to the SaUsbury Circuit. His Journal records his preaching at Salisbury on June 12, 1784; the 
following day - Sunday - he preached at "Hem's, to a large company . . .." On Monday, June 14, he preached 
at "brother Carter's ... to a weeping congregation," then later in the week at "John Randall's, C. Leadbetter's, 
and Cole's." The journey Lee described was the route of the wagon road which ran from Salisbury in a 
southeasterly direction through the edge of Mecklenburg (now Cabarrus) County, then through that portion 
of Montgomery County lying west of the Pee Dee River (later, Stanly County), crossing the Rocky River at a 
ferry, and so on into Anson County. That is the earliest mention of a meeting house, or preaching point, in 
the Cabarrus area. 

The route followed by Jesse Lee must have become the established route for the Methodist circuit riders. In 
1802, William Ormond was appointed to the Salisbury Circuit. He preached at the "Dutch Church" m 
Salisbury on Sunday, 28 March 1802; at "Brother Heame's Meeting House" on the 29th; and at Carter's on 
the 31st of March, 1802. His Journal reveals that he often stayed the night at Heame's, referring to him as 
the "Class Leader." In 1803, James Patterson succeeded Ormond on the Salisbury Circuit. Patterson's Diary 
shows that he preached at "Heame's Meetinghouse in Cabarms County" on September 13th, 1803, and then 
at Jacob Carter's in Montgomery County on the next day. Records in the Office of the Register of Deeds for 
Cabarms County reveal that the Heame family owned land in the extreme eastern part of Cabarms County 
near the County line, between Big and Little Bear Creeks; Elisha, William, and Jesse Heame were listed as 
landowners at that time. Unfortunately, we find no fiirther written record of Heame's Meeting House. 

The Great Revival 

In 1802, the flame of Methodism in the Cabarrus County area was farmed by a great reUgious revival that 
spread throughout the entire area between the Yadkin and Catawba. The Presbyterians began the camp 
meeting movement in the area, but the Methodists carried it to its greatest fruition. Men like William 
Ormond, James Patterson, and John McGee preached at meetings all over the Yadkin Valley. Orators such as 
Daniel Asbury and James Jenkins attracted entire pioneer families on journeys as long as one hundred miles 
to share in the experience. Families camped out for four or five days in makeshift tents; only later did 
permanent shehers begin to be erected by church organizations. James Patterson recorded in his Diary 
descriptions of camp meetings in Montgomery County in April of 1 803, in Randolph County in July of 1 803, 
and at the well-known Snow Creek Campground in Iredell County in August of the same year. The meeting 
places were within traveling distance of Cabarms County's faithful and we can be sure some attended. 
Presbyterian minister and historian W. H. Foote records a camp meeting held in the bounds of Cabarms 
County in 1 802, but was not able to give us the location of the meeting. 

Sugar Creek Circuit 

Fired with the spirit of revival, new churches were begun and old ones strengthened. When the Sugar Creek 
Circuit was formed in 1815 from territory in the South Carolina Conference, it included portions of Anson, 
Mecklenburg, and Cabarms Counties, McKendree Church in Iredell County, and Thyatira Church in South 
Rowan County. At the time of the organizational Quarterly Conference on 5 May 1815, Bethel, Mt. Moriah, 
and Rogers were among the oldest preaching points in Cabarms County. They were joined by thirteen other 



2 



"preaching places": Roses', McCorkles, Mayhews, Christenbury's, Martin's, Charlotte, Chalk Level, 
Cathcart's, Thyatira, Walases [Wallace's], Harisons, Newhope, and Ho we Is. Minutes of the first meeting 
reflect an offering of $16.63 3/4 paid to the Preacher in Charge, WilUam B. Barnett. At that time, the Sugar 
Creek Circuit was a part of the Catawba District of the South Carolina Conference. 

Those early minutes of the Sugar Creek Circuit furnish our first documentary evidence of the church that was 
to become Mount OUvet. Tradition and early Mt. Olivet histories tell us that services at that location were 
held under a brush arbor, then in a log building built near the site of the 1937 church parsonage. We have no 
description of that first log church; however, a description of the early manner of Presbyterian worship gives 
us valuable insight into those early churches: 

The earliest settlers gathered for worship in private homes, or, when the weather 
permitted, under the shadows of great oaks or perhaps in a booth covered with clapboards or 
brush. Meetinghouses were soon erected, however, in every Scotch-Irish settlement. The 
earliest of these meetinghouses were built like the homes of the settlers themselves, out of 
rough unhewn logs, generally in the shape of squares or parallelograms, if the logs were long 
enough; if not, cruciform, with twelve sides. Fireplaces were rare. Seats were puncheons 
hewn smooth or split logs with four legs. Earthen floors remained the custom through the 
colonial period. 

While we are not certain about the description of that early log meeting house, we know that it was located 
on the lands of one John Rogers. In 1803, John Rogers bought a tract of 100 acres from John Moffett, who 
had in turn inherited it from his grandfather Charles MolBfett. Several acres of this tract were used for the 
meeting house which became known as Rogers Meeting House, and then as Mt. OUvet Methodist Church. 
Either there was a house of worship on the land in 1 803 when John Rogers purchased it or he built one soon 
thereafter, for when the Sugar Creek Circuit was organized Rogers Meeting House was an "older" church 
according to Dr. Elmer Clark, noted Methodist historian. Methodist historians in the Western North Carolina 
Conference have settled on the 1803 date as the likely beginning point for Mt. OUvei United Methodist 
Church, although there may well have been an even older preaching point on the location. 

John Rogers, who became a successful merchant in Concord, is buried in the old cemetery at Mt. Ohvet. His 
tombstone shows his date of birth as August 1776, and date of death as 23 July 1864. On the 1850 Census, 
John Rogers recorded his place of birth as North Carolina. His sister, Susannah Rogers Glover, who is 
buried near him, listed her place of birth as Bedford County, Virginia. If her information is correct, then this 
branch of the large Rogers family in Virginia moved to North Carolina before the birth of her younger 
brother, John. We may never be certain about the early details of the hfe of John Rogers, although it is a 
longstanding tradition at Mt. OUvet that he was the son of George and Martha Rogers, who are also buried in 
the Rogers section of Mt. Olivet cemetery. The early land records of Cabarrus County do not record any 
conveyances to George Rogers, but we do find him mentioned in the early minutes of the Court of Pleas & 
Quarter Sessions for Cabarrus County as a witness to land transactions and a juryman. The presence and 
location of the first church buildings in the vicinity of the church cemetery is also confirmed by deeds made 
in 1830 when John Rogers and his neighbor, John Phifer, swapped thirteen acres of land to straighten their 
common boundary Une. One of those lines was described as crossing Three Mile Branch and running South 
to the "Meeting House." 

The early Rogers Church building must have been adequate for conference meetings. Quarterly Conferences 

3 



were held at Rogers on 27 July 1816, 14 August 1818, 16 1819, 12 May 1820, 1821, 30 July 1825, and 16 
June 1832. The meeting of 27 July 1816 was significant: John Rogers, leading member of the church, was 
elected to the responsible position of Conference Steward, to serve along with David R. Dunlap. Rogers 
served in that position until 4 July 1829, when Andrew Moore was appointed Steward in his place. 

Sugar Creek Circuit was renamed Charlotte Circuit in 1834. In that year, Rogers Church joined the growing 
Sunday School movement. At the Quarterly Conference held at Bethel Church on 13 September 1834, "It 
was Resolved that this Quarterly Conference form itself into a Bible, Tract, & Sunday School Society for the 
promotion of the Bible, Tract, & Simday School cause in the bounds of this Circuit." The Circuit 
experienced such growth that the ministers were not able to adequately serve the large multi-county area. On 
18 March 1843, the Charlotte Circuit Minutes contain a Resolution "that the following preaching places be 
droped, viz. Mt. Dows, Ormans, Wilefords & Pisga and that the preachers of Center Circuit be solicited to 
take Rogers and Old Bethpage and that the Charlotte Circuit be reduced to a three weeks circuit." 

Center Circuit 

Rogers Church joined the Center Circuit in the Cheraw District from 1844 through 1846, when the Concord 
Circuit of the Lincolnton District was formed. The Center Circuit, one of the most prosperous and influential 
in the state, was formed in 1833 from part of the Montgomery Circuit, which had absorbed the old Rocky 
River Circuit in 1820. At first called the Yadkin Circuit, its bounds were described by the Reverend David 
Derrick, the first assigned minister, as "bounded on the East by the Peedee and Yadkin Rivers and on the 
west by the Cold Water Creek and on the North by the South line of Rowan County and on the South by 
Rocky River." 

Reverend Derrick described those he found living in his area of work as primarily of the German Lutheran 
and German Reformed faiths, with "some few Baptists" and a "goodly number of Methodists." His work was 
richly blessed: he added 161 members to the Church the first year of his ministry. In 1834, Rev. Derrick was 
returned to the Circuit and added 111 members. In January of 1837, after an absence of two years. Rev. 
Derrick was returned to the Center Circuit with Rev. Abel Hoyle whom he described as a "fine little man and 
a good Preacher for his experience." Derrick describes in his Diary that he "met with a kind reception" in the 
Cabarrus-Stanly area: "Near two hundred souls were converted on the circuit this year and 230 admitted on 
trial. We built and finished six new churches which were all dedicated to God - and one commenced in 
Concord the county seat of Cabarrus, N. C. - I had hard work to obtain a lot and get the house started but 
God was on our side and holp us to him be all the Glory." The church he founded by preaching in the 
Courthouse was Central United Methodist Church which opened its doors in 1838 as Concord Methodist 
Church. Reverend Derrick's hard work agam bore fruit when Mount Pleasant Methodist Church was 
organized in 1848. The formation of Union Methodist Church to serve the Hileman's Mill Community in 
1833 was also probably a direct result of Derrick's preaching. Another of the Concord area churches which 
may trace its beginnings to the revivals in the meeting grounds in Concord is Rocky Ridge Methodist, 
organized in 1842. The formation of St. Paul's Methodist Church in 1855 on what is now Highway 200 in 
eastern Cabarrus County completed the antebellum development of Methodism in Cabarrus Coimty. 

Severe weather in early 1856 prevented Reverend Jacob L. Shuford from keeping all his appointments on the 
Concord Circuit of the Charlotte District. He ran a notice in the Concord Gazette on 12 February 1856 
setting out the churches on the circuit and the times he expected to preach there. Appointments included: 
Concord, Union, Rogers, Mount Pleasant, Emory, Gold Hill, Mount Moriah, Love's Chapel, Asberry 
4 



[Asbury], and Smith's School House. 



Thus, by the beginning of the Civil War Era, there were ten Methodist congregations serving the Cabarrus 
County area. Bethel, Bethpage, Mt. Olivet, Concord [Central], Rocky Ridge, Mt. Pleasant, and St. Paul's, 
are still active; Union Church merged with St. Matthews in 1888 to form Mt. Carmel Methodist, located on 
the Old Concord-Salisbury Road. In 1 867, Mt. Moriah and Asbury united to form Center Grove Church on 
Highway 200 near the Stanly County line. 

The Concord Circuit 

Although the early records are not complete, all indications are that Rogers Church was a part of the Concord 
Circuit from 1847 to 1852. In 1853, the Charlotte District was formed and the Concord Circuit, including 
Rogers, transferred to it from the Lincobiton District. By deed dated 27 June 1851, John Rogers transferred a 
tract of one and one-quarter acres on which the meeting house stood to Daniel Dry, J. L. Bundy, and other 
Trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, to "use and occupy the said tract of land as a place of 
stated preaching," but withholding the power of sale from the Trustees so that the land "shall remain as a 
place of worship for the Methodist denomination to be used for that purpose and that purpose alone forever." 
The deed is recorded in Book 20 at pages 61 and 62 in the Cabarrus County Registry. The land granted was 
the area where the former church parsonage was located, and is the site of the log churches. Before the deed 
was presented for registration on 7 May 1856, additional trustees had to be elected, the number being 
insufficient: Roger Daywalt (Dayvault), Levi Fink, Daniel Litaker, and Nicholas Cook, were elected by the 
congregation to serve as Trustees. By 1858, Samuel Murph had replaced Levi Fink as a Trustee, as 
evidenced by the second John Rogers Deed dated 4 September 1858, in which he conveyed about three acres 
to the Trustees, including the original one and one-quarter acre tract. The additional land included part of the 
present cemetery and sanctuary areas. Again, the Deed stated that the land was not to be sold but was to 
remain as a "place of public worship for the Methodist community. . . forever." The original deed was 
recorded in the Cabarrus County Registry in Deed Book 23 at page 1 54, and is held in the church lockbox. 

At the December 1858 Conference, the Charlotte District, including the Concord Circuit, was absorbed by 
the Wadesboro District. According to District records there were then 604 white members, 230 white 
probationers, 296 black members, with 104 black probationers. During 1858, $133.03 was raised on the 
Circuit for Missions, and $15.00 for Sunday Schools. There were six Sunday Schools, with 40 officers and 
teachers, and 278 scholars. The Concord Circuit, with ten churches and one parsonage, was a vital part of 
the Wadesboro District from 1867 to 1870, when the South Carolina Conference gave up the last of its North 
Carolina territory. The minutes of the November 1865 Conference reflect a white membership of 760, with 
199 white probationers. Black membership was 383, with 107 black probationers. Three local preachers 
assisted with the work. By the next conference, many of the black members had been lost to their own 
churches, as there were only 40 black members on the entire Circuit. The ten Sunday Schools boasted 64 
teachers and officials, supervising 404 students. 

During the tumultuous decade of the 1 860s, the log church was replaced by a frame building which served 
the congregation until it was replaced in 1914 with a modem brick sanctuary. Mrs. Pearl Hopkins recalled 
that the old church was heated with a pot-bellied stove located near the center of the building. Oil lamps 
with reflector shades in the back were hung on the walls to provide lighting. The wooden pews were not 
smooth and finished as modem ones are built. After some years, an outhouse was built near the church. 



5 



Mrs. Hopkins also recalled that the first preachers rode to the church on horseback. Since the church was on 
a circuit, services were not held every Sunday and were sometimes held on Sunday evenings. There was no 
guarantee that the service would end "on time." That depended on "whether he had something else he wanted 
to say to us." Children sat with their parents and had to remain quiet or suffer the consequences later. The 
only special services Pearl Hopkins remembered were those at Easter and Christmas. There were no sunrise 
services at that time. At Christmas, a church member would bring in a tree. The adults would help the 
children string popcorn with a needle and thread; paper rings were made by coloring papers, cutting strips 
and gluing them with flour paste. The same decorations were used on the smaller trees at home. The 
Christmas treat bag usually held an apple, orange and piece of candy, all of which they were "tickled to get." 



The South Carolina Conference surrendered its last territory lq North Carolina in 1869. During the formative 
years thereafter, Mt. Olivet was to find itself in a number of circuits: the church was on the Rowan and 
Union Circuit of the SaUsbury District in 1871 and 1872, on the Mt. Pleasant Circuit of the Charlotte District 
in 1873 and 1874, returned to the Concord Circuit of the Charlotte District in 1875, the Mt. Pleasant Circuit 
of the Charlotte District in 1876, and was part of the Concord Circuit of the Charlotte District from 1877 to 
1880. We first find the name change to Mt. Olivet documented in Branson's North Carolina Business 
Directory for 1 877-1 878, under a listing of churches for Cabarrus County. In 1 881, the Concord Circuit was 
fmally transferred to the Salisbury District, and Mt. Ohvet entered a period of great growth and service. 
There were five churches on the Concord Circuit when good records began to be kept in 1884: Mt. OUvet, 
Union, Center, Rocky Ridge, and Bethpage. 

Two strong Sunday School classes were already serving the Winecoff community from Mt. Olivet. The first 
class for which records survive was organized on the first Sunday in April of 1871, with Henry Bonds as 
Superintendent. After two years, J. A. Fink replaced Mr. Bonds. He was foDowed by J. R. Means, M. H. 
Winecoff, and J. H. Earnhardt. Mr. C. J. Goodman was named Superintendent in 1895, serving until 1914 
when he began teaching the class. H. A. Scott, the former teacher, succeeded Mr. Goodman as Sunday 
School Superintendent. The large class was mixed until about 1929, when it became so large that it was 
necessary to separate the group, and the class became the men's class. Mr. Goodman, a well- known dairy 
6 




MT. OLIVET METHODIST CHURCH 



BUILT 1860-1870 



farmer, was so successful as a teacher that the class numbered 50 members by 1939, with an average 
attendance between 30 and 35 students. In that year the class was named for him on its 68th anniversary. 

The Lillie Scott Bible Class was organized by Mrs. Martin Henderson Winecoff in 1880 to serve the women 
who brought their children to Sunday School. Mrs. Winecoff was the former Margaret Catherine Elkins, 
bom in Concord on December 4, 1850. Her father was Willis Elkins, a merchant and leader in the Concord 
Methodist Church; her great-uncle was John Rogers. After the untimely death of her mother, John and 
Martha Rogers helped rear the child. Mrs. Winecoff taught Class No. 2 until her death on February 5, 1 888. 
The class was later named for Mrs. Lillie Scott, who taught it for forty years. 

The surviving Quarterly Conference records for the Concord Circuit of the Salisbury District begin with the 
meeting of February 16, 1884, at Center Church, located south of Concord. At each Quarterly meeting the 
preacher assigned to the charge was to submit a written report on the number and state of the Sunday 
Schools, and also on the "general state of the church." W. S. Black was presiding Elder and Z. P. Rush was 
serving as preacher on the charge. The secretary and recording steward was J. A. Fink of Mt. Ohvet. 
Reverend Rush made an appeal "in behalf of the parsonage debt." At that time, the parsonage for the 
Concord Circuit was located in Concord, from which location the minister served the five churches on the 
circuit. He also noted that at three of the appointments the Sunday Schools were suspended during the 
winter months, but had been in operation at Mt. Olivet. He mdicated that the congregations had been "fair" 
considering the bad weather, that the spiritual condition was "medium" and the "prospect helpful." 

At the third conference held at Mt. Olivet on 31 August 1884, and at the fourth conference at Bethpage 
Church on October 18, 1884, the Sunday Schools were emphasized. Reverend Rush noted in his report that 
the "school at Mt. Ohvet excels the others ... as [S]uperintendent J. A. Fink is training the children to 
become interested in all the enterprises of the church . . .." In 1885, St. Matthews replaced Bethpage Church 
on the Circuit. The financial report indicates that Rev. Rush was actually paid $489.00 of his $530.00 salary. 

In 1886, Rev. W. L. Grissom began a fruitful period of service on the Circuit. A child cf Mt. Ohvet, D. M. 
[Daniel Milton] Litaker apphed to the Quarterly Conference for a hcense to preach. Litaker was bom in 
Cabarms County on October 22, 1 867, the son of Daniel T. and Elizabeth Andrew Litaker. Converted in Mt. 
Olivet at age 15, he entered Trinity [now Duke University] College in 1886, and joined the North Carolina 
Conference in 1888, at age 21. At the October 1, 1887, Quarterly Conference held at Center Church, D. M. 
Litaker reported that he had preached 22 times, and that he was then at Trinity College "preparing for the 
great and responsible work to which I feel that I am called." In 1890, Litaker was joined by Thomas E. 
Winecoff, whom the Mt. Ohvet church conference recommended for a license to preach. Today, the 
Reverend Doctor Thomas E. Winecoff rests in the Mt. Olivet cemetery beside his beloved wife, Allie E. 
Black Winecoff; his tombstone proudly bears these words: "Anglican Priest and Servant of Man." 

On July 14, 1888, the Tmstees reported to the Quarterly Conference held at Union Church that "they have 
met and think it wise [for Union Church and St. Matthews Church] to unite." The Conference authorized the 
Tmstees to dispose of the church buildings in order that they might unite at some place to be decided upon 
by a building committee. 

M. V. Sherrill was appointed to serve the Circuit in 1889 as minister, with J. T. Gibbs as Presidmg Elder. He 
was succeeded by Rev. Thomas W. Smith in 1890, a year in which the Salisbury District become a part of 
the Western North Carolina Conference. J. J. Renn served as Presiding Elder for the District during that 

7 



historic year. At the first Quarterly Conference held at Center Church on March 8, 1 890, Reverend Smith 
reported that there was only one Sunday School in operation. "That is at Mt. Olivet under the 
superintendency of M. H. Winecoff, The school is doing a good work and is improving with a good 
prospect. There is in this S. S. a good Missionary Society which is doing much in this community in 
spreadmg information and inspiring zeal. The schools at the other churches will probably open sooil" 

In 1902, Mt. OUvet was joined by Mt. Carmel, Center, Rocky Ridge, and Soger's Chapel on the Concord 
Circuit. W. W. Bays served as Presiding Elder and Reverend F. W. Bradley ministered to the growing 
circuit. In 1904, under the leadership of Reverend W. V. Honeycutt, there were five Sunday Schools in 
operation. The Epworth League at Mt. Olivet was "in very good working order and is we trust doing good." 
Elected as officers of the Epworth League were Ira Winecoff, M. H. Winecojff, J. A. Fink, M. E. Winecoff 
Homer Winecoff, and Ida Winecoff. Ida Winecoff was also appointed to lead the Mt. Olivet ladies in 
furnishing the parsonage of the Circuit. 

By the end of 1905, the Trustees for Mt. Olivet, through Chairman J. A. Fink, reported that the property of 
the church, being about three and one-half acres, was in good condition, free of debt, and of about $800.00 
value. No insurance was carried on the property at that time. The church was experiencing growing pains 
and the frame building was becoming outdated and difficult to heat. At the meeting of the Conference on 20 
January 1906, at Rocky Ridge Church, a Building Committee was appointed for Mt. OUvet: C. J. Goodman, 
G. A. Shinn, J. N. Winecoff, W. C. Litaker, and J. N. Dayvault. Reverend Honeycutt reported that there was 
one Senior Epworth League [at Mt. Olivet] and six Sunday Schools, with 35 officers and teachers, and 290 
scholars. By 1907, there was still the one Senior Epworth League at Olivet with 32 members, and 315 
members in the Sunday Schools. By the second Conference on 25 May 1 907, at Rocky Ridge, there were 
two Epworth Leagues at Mt. Olivet, a Senior and Junior League. In his final report. Reverend Sherrill 
complimented the fine work done by the Missionary Society at Mt. OUvet and Center Church. 

Reverend Bascom A. York emphasized missions during his ministry, which began in 1908. L. W. Earnhardt 
was elected as a leader from Mt. OUvet in the Laymen's Missionary Movement later that year, and Reverend 
York noted the presence of a "live Sunday School Missionary Society in Olivet , . .." During Reverend 
York's second year of ministry at Mt. Olivet, a staunch worker was gathered home when M. H. Winecoff 
died on September 27, 1909, and was replaced as Trustee by W. M. Patterson. 

In 1909, Dr. York noted that a Woman's Home Missionary Society has been organized at OUvet Church 
"and it promises to do great good." Statistics submitted to the First Quarterly Conference for 1910 revealed a 
total membership on the Circuit of 613, with 2 Senior Epworth Leagues in operation. Reverend York had 
been paid a salary of $800.00 for 1909 and a salary of $900.00 was estimated for the new minister, W. P. 
McGhee, for 1910. Two children of the church, H. L. Scott and Lura Scott, were at Trinity CoUege. The 
1911 records reveal that the Reverend H. L. Scott was continuing his education at Yale University, Lura 
Scott was at Trinity, and Roy Goodman was at A & M College. Earnest Winecoff was attending "Lenoa" 
College, and James F. McGhee was studying at Cornell University. 

At the first conference meeting for 1912, the conference agreed to inaugurate a "plan of catechizing the 
children once or twice a month at each church in connection with the Sunday School." The Epworth League 
at Mt. OUvet was stUl flourishing, as it reported at the AprU meeting that it met twice a month for devotional 
meetings, and boasted 48 members. In a report signed by Mrs. W. N. Barnhardt, President, the Mt. OUvet 
Woman's Home Mission Society reported a membership of 19 for 1912. The group had coUected $18.20 in 
8 



dues, raised $40.00 for a scholarship in China, and $10.00 for a Christmas offering. In 1913, Mrs. C. J. 
Goodman, Treasurer, reported that $40.00 was raised for the Olivet Fink Scholarship in Ciiina, and that 
$17.50 in dues was collected. 

1914 was a watershed year for Mt. Olivet's congregation, which had dreamed for years of a modern 
sanctuary to replace the frame structure in use since the Civil War era. A building committee was appointed 
at the Circuit Quarterly Conference for 25 April 1914: C. J. Goodman, H. A. Scott, and A. W. Winecoff. 
Earlier that year, C. J. Goodman was named Church Lay Leader, and H. A. Scott became Sunday School 
Superintendent at Mt. OUvet, a position he held for some twenty-eight years. Guiding the congregation as 
Stewards were: J. A. Scott (also Recording Steward), W. M. Patterson, W. N. Bamhardt, J. A. Furr, A. W. 
Winecoff, and W. A. Fink. Trustees for the Church were: J. A. Scott, W. A. Fink, G. A. Shinn, W. M. 
Patterson, and C. J. Goodman. 

With Mrs. R. D. Goodman as President and Mrs. A. W. Winecoff as Secretary, the Woman's Mission 
Society of Mt. OUvet had a banner year, reporting a membership of 25 with 7 officers. The Society 
maintained its $40.00 scholarship m China, sent a scholarship of $5.00 to a "mountain girl", received $20.00 
in dues, and subscribed about $300.00 towards the new church building. 

At the fmal meeting of the year held on October 24, 1914, at Boger's Chapel, the Mt. Ohvet trustees reported 
that the church property was valued at $4,000.00, and that about $2,000.00 had been spent during the year. 
The Quarterly Conference adopted a resolution authorizing the Mt. Ohvet Trustees to "borrow money or 
accept a conditional donation, or both, from the Board of Church Extension of the Methodist Episcopal 
Church, South, not exceeding the sum of ($4,000.00) Four thousand dollars, for the purpose of aiding in 
building a new church and to secure the repayment of the same by mortgage upon the property held in 
trust by them . . . ." The work on the new church was apparently complete by the Conference Meeting of 12 
June 1915, as the Olivet Trustees were authorized to sell the old church building and apply the proceeds on 
the new church debt. 

On 5 February 1916, the first Quarterly Conference was held in the new Mt. Ohvet Church building. Dr. J. 
C. Rowe returned as Presiding Elder and the new minister, P. L. Terrell, was present. He began his ministry 
in a vital Circuit with 628 members. Sunday School enrollment was 540, with 45 officers and teachers; the 
Mt. Olivet Epworth League had 60 members. By the second Quarterly Conference in May, Rev. Terrell 
reported that he had traveled over 350 miles in the prior quarter, with 107 visits! By year's end, the Mt. 
OUvet indebtedness of $2,000.00 was reduced to about $1,600.00. 

In 1916, Mrs. Ada Linn Dayvault moved her church membership to Mt. Olivet. Bom in rural Rowan County 
on 9 October 1894, she married Aldine C. Dayvault on 28 October 1915, and moved to the home where she 
lived throughout her long life. Mrs. Dayvault recalls that at that time, the older men who led the 
congregation sat in the "Amen comer"; the women were expected to "stay in their place." There were altar 
caUs at every service. Music was provided by a choir and piano. The church was heated by a pot-be Uied 
stove. Sunday School was held in the sanctuary, which was divided up into rooms by sliding doors. As Mt. 
OUvet was then on a three church circuit, preaching services were held every third Sunday. On the other 
Sundays, Sunday School was held. All church business was conducted on Sunday, as there were no 
meetings during the week. The Epworth League (later known as the Methodist Youth) was the young 
people's organization at that time. 



9 



The much beloved Dr. Rowe returned as Presiding Elder for 1918, the last year for which written records are 
preserved for the old Concord Circuit. Dr. Rowe was joined by Reverend P. L. Shore, who served the Mt. 
OUvet congregation during the war years. Rev. Shore came to a healthy Circuit, with three Wesley Bible 
Classes, and one Epworth League at Mt. Olivet. Reverend Shore began a plan to organize the remaining 
Sunday Schools into Missionary Societies, Mt. OUvet having been organized in that fashion for some years. 

Mt. Olivet members led the community in the new area of Scouting. B. L. Umberger, Sr., organized the first 
Boy Scout troop in Cabarrus County in 1917, with Herbert Ritchie as Assistant Scoutmaster. All but three of 
the original Scouts were members of Mt. Olivet. Mrs. Lura Scott Wellborn, who taught at Winecoff School, 
was leader of the Girl Scouts in 1919, when Mrs. Pearl Hopkins joined the troop. 

-oOo- 

Stewards 
Mt. OUvet M. E. Church, South 
1884-1935 



W. N. Bamhardt 
R. A. Caldwell 
W. N. Cline 
J. G. Comer 
A. C. Dayvault 
J. W. Dayvault 
L. W. Earnhardt 
H. L. Fink 
J. A. Fink 
W. A. Fink 
J. A. Furr 



D. C. Furr 

C. J. Goodman 
H. J. Goodman 
J. A. Goodman 
J. I. Goodman 
R. D. Goodman 

E. R. Lackey 

D. L. Litaker 
T. J. Litaker 

W. M. Patterson 
J. W. Perminger 



H. A. Scott 
J. A. Scott 
G. A. Shinn 
B. L. Umberger 
A. W. Winecoff 
E. J. Winecoff 
G. R. Winecoff 
J. N. Winecoff 
M. H. Winecoff 



-oOo- 

No further written records of the Concord Circuit are available until the Quarterly Conference Meeting on 2 
December 1934. By that time, the Circuit had been reduced to three churches: Mt. OUvet, Mt. Carmel, and 
Rocky Ridge. Rev. J. N. RandaU, who served the Circuit and Mt. OUvet Church for an unprecedented six 
years, was leading the three congregations. During 1935, the Stewards at each church adopted a plan for 
financing the work of the church. At OUvet, the plan called for weekly offerings to help with the preacher's 
salary, with collections being taken by the Sunday School classes for benevolences. During that year, the 
Mt. Olivet Trustees were given permission to swap a small piece of land with the B. L. Umberger Estate to 
straighten the property lines. Mt. Olivet had added Sunday School rooms and the Circuit was advised that 
there was a special effort to pay off the debt: "(W)e have the money in sight for aU except about a hundred 
and My dollars ($150) which we are almost sure will be taken care of by the time the note is due. If we 
raise this amount it will mean that twenty two hundred ($2200) will have been paid within the two years." 



An active Board of Christian Education was in place at Mt. OUvet, composed of C. H. Stewart, Miss 
Kathleen Stewart, Joe Winecoff, Fred Goodman, Mrs. Sam Cook, and Mrs. H. A. Scott. H. A. Scott was 
Sunday School Superintendent, assisted by Mrs. Fred Goodman, Mrs. A. C. Dayvault, and Miss Roxie Fink. 
10 



Reverend Randall noted that the work of the church had continued in spite of an Infantile Paralysis 
quarantine during the fall of that year. Mrs. W. S. Wellborn reported to the 20 September 1936 Quarterly 
Conference held at Mt. OHvet that the Women's Missionary Society of Mt. Olivet had 2 circles and two 
scholarships: "Olive Fink paid by the circle and the Henderson Winecoff paid by Mrs. C. J. Goodman and 
Mrs. Ida Winecoff Stamey." 

In 1937, the Mt. Olivet congregation felt it could support a minister on a full-time basis. The Conference 
agreed and a Building Committee for Mt. OUvet Parsonage was elected at the 4 April 1937, meeting: R. A. 
CaldweU, H. L. Fink, B. F. Waddell, C. W. Murph, and R. D. Goodman. By the 19 September 1937 
Quarterly Conference, Reverend Randall was able to report that the "new parsonage at Mt. Olivet is 
completed and we have been living in it for the past ten days. The one for Mt. Carmel and Rocky Ridge will 
be started, I think, the first of the week and will be completed by Conference." 

, The Station Church 

At the church conference on 21 November 1937, Reverend Randall reported that Mt. Olivet had its largest 
membership ever and all the Sunday School rooms were filled, with one class meeting in the hall back of the 
auditorium and another meeting in the auditorium. Interest in the Young People's meetings was increasing, 
and a third circle had been organized, which Rev. Randall described as a group of "young girls who are 
interested and eager." 

The church lost two of its mainstays in 1937. Wilbom A. Fink died on 14 October 1937. Reverend Randall 
wrote of him: "For nearly 64 years he had lived among his fi-iends here, and was loved and respected by all 
who knew him. He had been a faithfiil member of Mt. Olivet Methodist Church since young manhood. He 
was an honored member of the Board of Stewards and of the Board of Trustees in which capacity he served 
for 30 years .... He was faithful to the obligations and responsibilities that were given to him by the church, 
but our faith in God's word and our knowledge of his life leads us to believe that he had joined the church 
Triumphant." When John A. Scott died on 14 November 1937, at his home, the Board of Stewards and the 
Pastor wrote that he "was a steward in Mt. Olivet Methodist Church for a long time, and was treasurer of the 
church for forty two years. The fact that during those years he never allowed his church to come behind 
with its finances except once and then making that up shows us how faithful he was to his work. He was 
also Trustee of the church property for many years and was for a long time District Steward. He was always 
ready to give his best to any task his church called him to perform." 

Despite a measles epidemic during the first part of 1938, Reverend Randall reported that 35 new members 
had been received by the June Conference, 21 by profession of feith and 14 by letter. The Young People's 
Division continued to grow, "not only carrying on the usual services but having had several extra services 
such as retreats, outdoor services and a banquet." For the first time, there is a written record of a two-week 
Daily Vacation Bible School. Four young people were away at college: Dorothy Cline and Miriam Randall 
were at Brevard College, Leroy Scott was attending Duke University, and Victor Goodman was studying at 
State College. The Sunday School, with 358 members - including 19 teachers and officers - averaged an 
attendance of 182 scholars each Sunday. There was an active Epworth League in the Young People's 
Division. Mrs. A. C. Dayvault, President of the Woman's Missionary Society, reported a membership of 83 
with $185.00 sent to the Conference Treasurer. 



Rev. Randall returned for a sixth year in 1938-39. The church budgeted $1,800.00 for his salary, $150.00 for 

11 



Rev. C. N. Clark, Presiding Elder, and assumed the entire $600.00 apportioned by the District Stewards for 
General and Conference Work. The Young People's Division, led by Miss Kathleen Stewart, numbered by 
that time almost 100 members and continued to grow, meeting at both the morning and evening Sunday 
services. 

The Church United 

1939 was a significant year for all of Methodism. C. J. Goodman attended the October 1939 Uniting 
Conference in Greensboro, along with delegates from the Western North Carolina Conference of the M. E. 
Church, South, the Blue Ridge-Atlantic Conference of the M. E. Church, and the North Carohna Annual 
Conference of the Methodist Protestant Church. The new Western North Carohna Conference of the 
Methodist Church had 490 ministers, and more than 200,000 members. Mt. OUvet came in with 350 
members, including local preachers. The Church building was valued at $20,000.00, the parsonage at 
$4,700.00, and other property at $600.00, with no debt at all. 

In 1939, Rev. F. W. Kiker replaced Rev. Randall, and served the congregation until 1943. During the war 
years, much of the history of the church is preserved in the Minutes of the Board of Stewards, which begins 
at a special meeting held on November 3, 1941, to organize the Board for the coming year. H. L. Fink was 
elected Chairman, B. F. Waddell as Assistant Chairman, and R. L. Shinn was elected Secretary. The Board 
agreed to set Reverend Kiker's salary at "a minimum of $2,000.00 for the coming year, and to pay him a 
bonus of $200.00. At the March 1942 meeting. Reverend Kiker suggested starting a building fiind and the 
suggestion was adopted by the Board on 14 April 1942. The Board of Christian Education was directed to 
contact all Sunday School classes to see how many would carry shares for one year. In May, the Board 
decided to buy War Bonds instead of building and loan shares for the building fond. Even though the church 
was concentrating on its own building program at that time, the Board decided to raise at least $100.00 to 
help Flowe-Harris Presbyterian Church in the WinecoflF community with its building plans. The church 
ended 1942 with a surplus of about $500.00, a considerable accomplishment in that time. The Board voted to 
give the Young People the old song books for use in the basement, to paint the small room in the basement, 
and to make screens to divide one of the Sunday School rooms. 

During 1944-45, under the leadership of Rev. C. B. Newton, Bible School was held in May, a Youth 
Caravan was plarmed durmg the summer, A Family Day observance scheduled and a Welcome Committee 
appointed. Mrs. J. B. Hough organized a Junior Choir and robes were donated by Woman's Society No. 1. 
At the September 1944 meeting, R. D. Goodman, L. W. Earnhardt, and Mrs. A. C. Dayvault, along with 
Miss Roxie Fink were appointed "to study and have charge of Yoimg People's Recreation at the church." The 
music program at the church was discussed, and the following month Miss Ailene Dayvault was elected 
Choir Director, with Mrs. Worth Beaver as Pianist, assisted by Miss K. Lee Scott and Miss Mary Murph. 
The Stewards decided to pave the walks around the church, to have the drive curbed at the parsonage and the 
church, and ended the year by buying a "machine to print bulletins," and a stove for the parsonage. 

The Methodist Men, some 25 to 30 strong, met on the first Monday night of each month, with refreshments 
and a speaker. The group raised money to purchase a bicycle for Miss Louise Avet, a missionary who spoke 
at one of their meetings. The W. S. C. S. reported that their service to the church continued, and was in fact 
increasing in numbers and interest. The group boasted 71 members in 1946, with $325.00 raised for foreign 
mission work, according to the report of Mrs. R. W. Measmer, President. 

The need for suitable recreational facihties for the young people of the community continued, and the 
12 



church's application for permission to construct a Recreational Building was granted m August 1945. Under 
the watchftil eye of contractor Earl Fink, the church saved ahnost half the cost of construction. Led by 
Marvin Cook, volunteers from the congregation did the painting. Bob Measmer and Macy Sherrill organized 
volunteers to donate labor on the building. By the end of 1946, the building was substantially completed and 
an insurance pohcy purchased. 

Church and community joined together to furnish the building. Efird's Department Store donated the light 
fixtures and the piano was given by the Men's Brotherhood. The Ethel Kiker Circle furnished the linoleum, 
and joined with the Margie Goodman and Betty Hough Circles in buying dishes for the kitchen. Various 
members of the congregation furnished chairs, and Miss Kathleen Stewart donated a picture in memory of 
Reverend J. N. Randall. The new building was dedicated to the honor of the 60 men and women of the Mt. 
Ohvet family who served their country in World War II. A son of the church, Craig Lackey, son of Mr. and 
Mrs. E. R. Lackey, died during the war, and Rickard Rodgers, a church steward, was held prisoner by the 
Germans. Fred Barringer received a battlefield commission and was a First Lieutenant by war's end; he 
continued his military service and returned to his home congregation upon his retirement as a Colonel. 

-oOo- 

Mt. Olivet Roll of Honor - World War II 

Fred A. Barringer; James F. Brawley; Cyrus W. Brooks; Stamey F. Brooks; Burnena D. Burr; 
David Junior Burr; Marion Caldwell; Marvin E. Carter; Frank M. Cline; J. G. Comer, Jr.; G. 
Erskine Davis; John W. Davis; E. G. Denny, Jr.; Joe T. Earnhardt; L. W. Earnhardt, Jr.; 
Donald C. Emerson; J. Thomas Ervin; Robert L. Ervin, Jr.; Joe R. Fisher; E. Edward Goins; 
Hugh J. Goodman, Jr.; J. B. Hough; Jean G. Goodman; William Dale Goodman; Everette F. 
Hunsucker; Thomas G. Hunsucker; William P. Hunsucker; Robert E. Jemigan; Hubert H. 
Keever; Pink M. Keever; H. Craig Lackey (Gold Star); Leon R. Lackey; William D. Lee and 
William D. Lee, Jr. (father and son); Faye E. Litaker (WAC); G. W. Litaker; Kenneth W. 
Litaker; Ree V. Litaker; Jesse W. McCall; Calvin R. Milner; Robert J. Munday; William F. 
Penninger; McConley M. Pruitt; T. Coles Roberts; W. Rickard Rodgers; H. A. Scott, Jr.; 
Macy E. Sherrill; Vertie E. Shinn (WAVE); Leroy M. Stewart; Brad R. Stroud; Wiley L. 
Umberger; B. F. Waddell, Jr.; Joe L. Waddell; William H. Webb; E. J. Winecoff, Jr.; Harry K. 
Winecoff; Hope H. Winecoff; Jackdale Winecoff; Joe W. Winecoff; and K. C. Winecoff. 

-oOo- 

Organized activities began in the spring of 1947. Bill Workman, writing for The Daily Independent, related 
that the recreational center had been used practically every night during the summer. With the support of the 
Men's Brotherhood, Miss Pearl Fink had scheduled activity times for junior boys and girls, intermediates, 
and the young people. Mrs. Ruth Measmer, intermediate counselor, and Miss Kathleen Stewart, young 
people's leader, worked closely with Miss Fink. In addition to the play area and kitchen within the structure, 
the church grounds were hghted for horseshoes, croquet, deck tennis, archery and badminton. Indoors, 
games like shuffleboard, table tennis, checkers, darts, and miniature billiards were played; the games were 
donated by the young people and intermediates, who sold Christmas cards to raise money for them. 

The enthusiasm generated by the building program spread into all areas of church life. The Board of 

13 



Stewards instructed Reverend W. B. Davis to get prices on a "colored window" for the back of the church. 
In 1947, with the church's physical plant in good order, the young people began a movement toward 
obtaining an organ. C. W. Murph spearheaded an effort to purchase choir robes, and fundraising was 
completed by August 1948. There was such general excitement over the newly-robed choir that the Board 
voted to have H. J. Goodman appoint a committee to canvass church members for the organ fiind. C. W. 
Murph quickly raised $990.00 for the organ fiind. By March 1949, a Hammond Organ and Maas Chimes had 
been installed and dedication was planned for later in the Spring. Meanwhile, Rev. C. O. Kennerly had 
succeeded Rev. Davis. He expressed his gratitude for the warmth of his welcome to a newly painted and 
furnished parsonage. By the time of the First Quarterly Conference on February 27, 1949, he reported that 
he had visited the homes of all the members of the church and knew most of their names! 

The growing church needed more space. At the August 1949 regular meeting of the Board, a Fmdings 
Committee consisting Mr. W. L. Harris, Mr. Homer Fink, and the Superintendent of each department, was 
appointed to look into the needs of the church building. The Committee presented the needs of the church to 
Mr. Marvin Helms, an architect, who prepared plans for adding the necessary space and remodeling the 
present sanctuary. A building Committee of C. J. Scott, Earl Fink, Hough J. Goodman, Dr. A. E. Bamhardt, 
Homer A. Fink, was appointed. On Sunday, 26 August 1951, the plans for the proposed education building 
and remodeled sanctuary were presented to the congregation by C. J. Scott, as Chairman of the Building 
Committee. A vote was taken by secret ballot after a fiill discussion of the plans and their costs; the 
secretary. Hazel Lackey, recorded that 116 voted for the building plans - with only one vote against the 
proposal. With winter coming on, plans were made to begin the building program in the spring of 1952. A 
Finance Committee for the building Program was named at the September meeting: C. W. Murph, Rickard 
Rodgers, E. R. Lackey, H. A. Scott, and John Penninger. Building and remodeling began in May 1952, and 
the congregation met in Winecoff School for classes and worship. 

By the December 1 952 Quarterly Conference the work was complete. Rev. Kennerly reported that in spite 
of the commitment demanded by the building program, the work of the church had gone forward. The Young 
People and Adults met separately on Sunday evenings for fellowship and Bible Study, with good attendance. 
The three circles were supporting nine Mission Specials in Korea, Japan, China, Africa, and India, in 
addition to their local work. The Methodist Men sponsored the Boy Scouts and Cub packs; the Ada 
Dayvault Circle sponsored the Brownie Troop. Attendance at Sunday School was slowly increasing, and the 
two- week Bible School was very successful. 

The Modern Church 

Emphasis on the youth program continued into 1955. Rev. Hamilton Witter led a Youth Activity Week 
during the summer, which was followed by a Youth Revival. The Methodist Youth Fellowship continued to 
hold regular evening meetings. Jerry Cramshaw, President of the M. Y. F., reported that the Youth raised 
money for the Building Fund, sent a girl to church camp, had a Youth Banquet, and organized a new group 
for Older Youth. Mid-week services continued under the pastoral leadership of Rev. Paul A. Bruton, who 
succeeded Rev. M. C. Ellerbe, and membership increased. By the spring of 1956, the congregation began 
planning dedication services for Homecoming Sunday, 27 May 1956. Rev. Kennerly and Rev. Bruton led the 
service, at which C. W. Murph, who had served as treasurer of the Building Fund, burned the note, and C. J. 
Scott, chairman of the building committee, presented the church for dedication. The congregation then 
moved outside for a picnic dinner on the grounds. 



14 



Rev. Bruton reported 42 new members in 1956. By the end of the year, attendance at the Sunday Evening 
worship services was averaging about 80 persons, and Rev. Bruton was planning a Spring Revival, visitation 
and training campaigns for the coming year. By April, the Visitation Plan was underway and involved the 
entire membership. Rev. Bruton reported that he had aheady made 410 pastoral visits to home and hospital 
rooms. Average attendance at morning worship services averaged 220 persons, with 77 members at Sunday 
evening services, and 27 attending the mid-week prayer services. Parsonage renovation had been completed 
with aU debts paid, and repairs were beginning on the Recreation Building. The W. S. C. S. had organized 
two new circles, one of them serving girls from ten to fourteen years of age. The Spring Revival was 
planned to begin on Easter Sunday, with Reverend Kenneth D. Grouse of Canton as guest minister. 

The Committee on Evangelism, led by Chairman W. R. Rodgers, continued its visitation program, resulting 
in 24 new adult members. The attendance at quarterly communion services increased so much that Reverend 
Bruton recorded the necessity to secure "the services of some retired minister each time." Miss Patricia Croy 
was hired as Director of Christian Education, and began working with the M. Y. F. in retreats and programs. 
After Miss Croy's marriage, Miss Evelyn Luther became D.C.E. Two ministerial students from Duke 
assisted in the sunmier activities of Youth Activities Week; two weekend retreats at Camp Spencer were well 
attended and Vacation Bible School again reached attendance records. 

Rev. Bruton was justly proud of the five Boy Scouts from Mt. Olivet's Troop 34 who were working towards 
the God and Country Award under his direction. The scouting program had been so successfiil that the men 
of the church were considering sponsoring an Explorer Post for the older boys of the community. Thus, Rev. 
Bruton left a vital, growing program for Rev. Joseph M. Taylor, Jr. For the first time, the budget exceeded 
$20,000.00, and there were discussions about an Educational Building to relieve the crowded Church School 
quarters. A Building Fund for the proposed construction began in 1960, with Rev. Taylor reporting that this 
was going slowly so as to secure the broad support of the congregation for the project. 

At a Special Quarterly Conference on 10 December 1962, The Board recommended adoption of plans 
submitted by the Building Committee. The Board also submitted plans for financing the construction, to be 
the most ambitious building program undertaken by the congregation in its history. A Finance Committee 
was appointed consisting of Ray Allen, H. J. Goodman, Lewis Jenkins, W. L. Harris, Rickard Rodgers, E. R. 
Lackey, and Rev. Taylor. The proposals were presented in a Church Conference durmg the regular worship 
hour on Sunday, 20 January 1963. L. W. Jenkins, representing the Commission on Education, stressed the 
need for additional classrooms, and W. L. Harris outlined the proposed building, noting that the estimated 
cost was $50,000.00 for some 5,000 square feet of space. Richard E. Swaringen detailed the financial plans, 
asking for authority to begin work on the building when $15,000.00 was on hand. The congregation voted 
89 to 5 to proceed with the construction and enthusiastically supported the project. Rev. Taylor praised the 
efforts of the "ladies of the Church in securing stain[ed] glass windows for the Sanctuary." 

Rev. Albert W. Wellons replaced Rev. Taylor in the fall of 1963. Rev. Wellons worked with the Church 
Secretary, Miss Helen Crisco, to edit a weekly Messenger that was mailed to every femily in the Church 
each Thursday. By the May 1964 Quarterly Conference, $10,000.00 had been raised for the building fiind, 
making the total on hand $17,054.00. A plan was developed to raise another $15,000.00 for the building ftind 
while the construction was underway. A construction contract of $68,494.00 was awarded on 15 June 1964 
at which time the balance in the building ftmd stood at $20,000.00. 



Ground was broken for the new facility on Simday, 21 June 1964. By the 26 March 1965 Quarterly 

15 



Conference, the building was completed at a cost of $68,233.42. The addition provided room for eight 
classes, a study for the pastor and a church office. All groups in the church participated in efiforts to retire the 
building indebtedness. The widow, children, and grandchildren of C. J. Goodman joined together to make an 
$8,000.00 gift to the fund in memory of the life and service of Mr. Goodman. 

With I. Pressley Rutledge as minister, a decision was made by the Board to air-condition the church, pave the 
grounds, and install a water system for the church. Mr. C. M. King estimated the total expense at 
$30,000.00, the congregation granted its approval, and by the spring of 1969 air conditioning and paving 
were a reality. Mrs. C. L. Mauldin, choir director for ten years, resigned in May 1969 and Mr. Ed Fink was 
hired as Director of the Children, Youth and Adult Choirs; Mrs. F. Worth Beaver continued as church 
organist. In November, Claudia Gray was hired as temporary organist to replace Mrs. Beaver. In 1970, 
colored bulletins were used on a trial basis and Christmas Cards depicting the Church were printed. 
Rev. Lewis Gibbs began a six-year ministry in 1973. After a presentation by Rickard Rodgers, Sr., the Board 
agreed to sponsor a first Sunday broadcast over radio station WGTL during the last quarter of 1973. Church 
leaders began to sound out the congregation about a new Memorial Hall, with space for meetings, receptions 
and church suppers. Mr. W. L. Harris, Chairman of the Building Fund, recommended that construction not 
begin until 25% of the proposed cost of $50,000.00 was on hand, and an additional 15% of the cost pledged. 
That substantial goal was met a year later and construction was slated to begin in mid-October 1975. 

The new building was completed by the October 1976 Charge Conference, and the old portion of the 
building became home for the active Scout troop and the Youth. A dedicatory service for Memorial Hall 
was held 1 1 March 1979, at 4:30 in the afternoon. Both Bishop L. Scott Allen and D. S. Earle R. Haire 
participated in the service. Bishop Allen accepted the presentation of the building from Joel E. Johnson, 
Chairman of the Administrative Board, declaring it set apart to "God's glory and the service of men." 

Rev. Gibbs described the Youth Program, imder the leadership of Mr. and Mrs. Jerry Barrett, Mr. and Mrs. 
Michael Davis, and Mr. and Mrs. Edgar Honeycutt, Jr., as "ahve and vibrant." An exchange program in July 
of 1976 allowed the group to spend one week in Belmont, Mississippi, and then a week as hosts to the 
Belmont youngsters, a period of growth and fellowship. A Youth Choir was also reorganized at that time. 

1 977 was a landmark year in Mt. Olivet, as the result of the conference-sponsored Third World Exchange. 
During the summer of 1977, Reverend Gibbs and his family exchanged pulpits with Reverend Misheck 
Kanake from Miathene Circuit, Mem, Kenya. Accompanied by his wife, Jennifer, and son Jonathan, the 
Kanake family quickly found a place in the hearts of Mt. Olivet families, and ties were formed which led to a 
mission effort in Kenya which continues to this day. 

Richard B. Jarrett was named to the Mt. Olivet charge at the 1979 Annual Conference and arrived on June 
19th of that year to a newly renovated parsonage. He found a strong Boy Scout program already in place and 
immediately began working with some ten young men in the God and Church program. Troop 34 received 
the Bishop's Award of Excellence in 1981, honoring the nimierous church and community service projects 
carried out. The music program at Mt. Olivet continued to be exceptional. Beautiful Christmas and Easter 
Cantatas were presented during 1980 and 1981, with the choir making several guest appearances, including a 
visit to Groce United Methodist Church in Asheville where former pastor Lewis Gibbs was serving. In April 
1 980, the new Allen 603 electronic organ was the center of an unforgettable musical evening as its range and 
beauty was demonstrated for the church and community by the special talents of American Concert Organist 
Carlo Curley. 
16 



In 1983, Rev. Ben F. Wilson was appointed to serve Mt. Olivet. Sanctuary renovation and installation of a 
sound system was completed during the first quarter of 1984. A Committee on Worship was formed and 
first met on January 31, 1984. In April 1984, church secretary Helen Crisco retired and Marlene Horton was 
selected for the position. Her work began during a flurry of activity centered on the Holy Week Services as 
Reverend Wilson presented moving services for Pakn Sunday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and Easter 
Sunday. A highlight of the Easter Service was the transformation of a plain wooden cross, crafted by Jack 
Goodman, with flowers into a symbol of the resiirrection and hope of Easter. As part of the bicentennial 
emphasis, Clarence Horton spoke on the heritage of Mt. Olivet at a special Homecoming Service in May 
1984, and presented a short history of the church, "These Storied Walls," to the congregation. A special 
display highlighting the history of the church was arranged in Memorial Hall by Mrs. Sarah Hough, with old 
records and photographs, which fascinated many of the newer members. A tea was given for Mrs. Ada 
Dayvault in October 1984 in honor of her 90th birthday. Reverend Wilson initiated a Hanging of the Greens 
service in December, at which the meaning of many of the church symbols of the service were explained. 
The congregation was saddened by the death of organist Claudia Gray Simpson. Church member John 
Settlemeyer did an outstanding job of providing organ music until Mrs. Kay Bracey was selected as church 
organist. 

The Administrative Board approved a budget for 1985 that exceeded one hundred thousand dollars for the 
first time in church history. A February 1985 highlight was Mrs. Mayfield Stewart's celebration of her 97th 
birthday on February 5th, to the best wishes and congratulations of the congregation. The Youth Choir, led 
by Prebble Henrickson, presented an original and enjoyable evening program on 10 March as the Mount 
Ohvet Christian Supper Club opened for one night only in Memorial Hall. A $450.00 free will offering taken 
after the show was donated to World Hunger. The United Methodist Men served breakfast to worshippers at 
the Community Easter Sunrise Service held in Carolina Memorial Park. During the Lenten Season, Rev. 
Wilson led communion services in church members' homes. The United Methodist Women invited the 
congregation to join them in an evening of dining and music at Memorial Hall on 19 May 1 985. The "Night 
of Music", was a resounding success, and a substantial free will offering was designated for CCCM, the 
Soup Kitchen, UMCOR, and Rev. Misheck Kanake. The Mt. Ohvet newsletter, "Ths Messenger", was 
selected by the Conference Committee on Communications and Interpretation as Outstanding Newsletter in 
the SaUsbury District in the category of churches from 401 to 1000 members. Reverend Wilson and 
Secretary Marlene Horton accepted the award during the 1985 Annual Conference at Lake Junaluska. 

Beth Crowell, a rising senior at High Point College, was hired to lead a six-week program, planned to appeal 
to all age groups. Events ranged from traditional Church School classes on Monday evenings to Fun Trips on 
Friday mornings, and included Community Outreach Program on Tuesday mornings. Craft Evenings on 
Wednesdays, and Youth Events on Thursday evenings for the older youth. Meanwhile, plans were under 
way for the second annual Elk Shoals retreat planned for August 1985. 

A Cemetery Trust Fund was started in July 1985 with generous gifts from Leon Lackey and his sister, Faye 
Howard Lackey, in an effort to secure the perpetual upkeep and maintenance of the Mt. Ohvet cemetery. In 
the fall of 1985, a Yamaha grand piano was presented to the church by Mrs. Carolyn Goodman, Mrs. Miriam 
Litaker, and their families, in memory of H. J. "Jack" Goodman and Ree Velt "Tip" Litaker. Kay Bracey, 
John Settlemeyer, and Danita Rickard treated the congregation to a sacred concert on 3 November 1985. 
November 1985 was also memorable for the visit of Bishop Lawi Imathiu of Kenya. Because of the close 
ties between Mt. Ohvet Church and the Misheck Kanake family of Kenya, Bishop Imathiu visited Mt. Ohvet 
on 17 November as a part of his month- long trip to the United States. 

17 



A highlight of the first half of 1986 was a fund-raising effort by the church that enabled Rev. Wilson and his 
wife, Mary, to attend the World Methodist Conference in July. As the five-year pastorate of Rev. Wilson 
came to a close, the church joined the growing number of congregations considering off-site parsonages. At 
the December 1987 session of Administrative Board, the Chairpersons of Finance, Council on Ministries, 
Staff-Parish Relations, and Trustees, recommended that a new parsonage be purchased or constructed. A 
parsonage search committee consisting of Chair Ron Pare, Max Lackey, Carolyn Fink, Glen Julian, Edgar 
Honeycutt, and Jeter Lee, located an existing home on Daybreak Ridge Road in Kannapolis and 
recommended its purchase to the church. At a church conference on 5 June 1988, the congregation voted 59- 
43 to purchase the parsonage and finance it through church bonds. 

The Mission Church 

In 1988, Rev. Wilson was transferred to Cole Memorial UMC in Charlotte, and a new parsonage femily 
briefly moved into the old church parsonage. Rev. K. Wesley Judy, the son of missionaries, was reared in 
Korea. Even as the Judy family were unpacking, however, work continued on the new church parsonage. 
On 30 July, the Judys moved into the "new" parsonage, and an Open House and Blessing of the Parsonage 
was scheduled for 14 August. Sale of bonds began in earnest. Members pledged a total of $19,754.00 on 11 
September, and bonds were sold that same evening. As part of a novel fund-raising effort to benefit the 
parsonage fund, "Talent Sunday" was celebrated on 30 April 1989. Members were given $5 as seed money 
to be used in some way, then returned with its fi-uits on June 25, "Celebrating Our Gifts Sunday." Members 
organized suppers, yard sales, sold baked goods, crafts, flowers, and sponsored musical presentations. By 
the end of June, the project raised more than $9,000.00. 

During May 1 989 Homecoming Services, the congregation honored those who had been members of Mt. 
Olivet for 60 years or more. They included: Wiley Umberger (75 years); Ada Linn Da)^ault and Elsie Cline 
Freeze (74 years); A. E. Bamhardt and Carrie Litaker Holshouser (72 years); Elizabeth Winecoff Beaver (69 
years); Audrey Shinn Bost and Louise Earnhardt Earnhardt (66 years); Hettie Watts Litaker (64 years); Nell 
Cook Hopkins (63 years); William F. Penninger, Jr. (61 years); and Thelma Dermy Eudy, Rena Goodnight 
Fink, and Helen Hawkins Fink (60 years). 

Work on renovation of the old sanctuary continued. The UMW beautified the narthex areas, and protective 
coverings were placed on the stained-glass windows. A beautiful 14-foot artificial Christmas tree was 
donated in December 1989 by Earl Goodman, Lillian Goodman, and Delphina Penninger. In 1992, the 
Trustees recommended that a formal parlor be built at a cost of $22,000, and a History Room Committee was 
appointed in March 1993. With the generous support of Hazel Poole and Sarah Hough, the old Sunday 
School office was transformed into an attractive secure place for church artifacts and records. The 
completed History Room was dedicated on 5 June 1994. Church Historian Sarah Hough continued to 
compile annual church scrapbooks and place them in the new history room. 

Although Mt. Olivet had always strongly supported worldwide missions, its most important mission 
emphasis began with a visit by Bishop Misheck Kanake and Jeimifer Kanake in October 1989. Rev. Kanake 
spoke of the progress made in Kenya since he filled the Mt. Olivet pulpit in October 1977, and reported that 
three demonstration farms were in operation. Storerooms had been built to protect food from wandering 
elephants and buffaloes, and a gravity pipeline had been built to carry water to villages whose water supplies 
were as much as 15 miles away. Rev. Judy was moved by Kanake' s statement that "None of you have ever 
18 



come to see us," and the Kenyan Mission Project and Building Team was organized. 1 8 persons volunteered 
to travel to Kenya, and 40 persons committed to support the project. The Kenya Team set a goal of raising 
$10,000.00 to send to Rev. Misheck Kanake for construction materials and other costs, and embarked on a 
series of fund-raising events including a BBQ chicken dinner in May 1991. At a special "Night of Music" 
on 21 April 1991, an offering was taken to support the Kenyan mission. With fond-raisers, vaccinations and 
pre-flight jitters behind them, 16 volunteers participated in the &st Kenya mission in July 1991: Roger and 
Debbie Myers; Rick, Belinda, Trip and Scott Rodgers; Marty Ford; Jami Rodgers; Wes Hathaway; Carolyn 
Goodman; John Brown; Beth Caldwell; Jennifer Goodman; Jun Stowe; Rev. Wes Judy and Josh Judy. 

In addition to the Kenyan ministry, Mt. OHvet began participation in the rewarding ministry of Habitat for 
Humanity in March 1992. The Mt. Olivet volunteers, under the leadership of Jan Sykes, decided to put vinyl 
siding on the next Habitat home and to raise $1,800.00 for the project. They began a series of dinners as part 
of their fund-raising effort. For the past decade, the church has continued to support the successful Habitat 
program, making the dream of home ownership continue to come true for area femilies. 

4 November 1990 was W. L. Harris Day at Mt. Olivet, as Mr. Harris prepared to move to Lexington to live 
with his daughter, Myra, and her family. W. L. and Clariece Harris joined Mt. Olivet in 1938, where he 
taught Sunday School for 55 years. In addition to holding many offices in the church, Mr. Harris faithfully 
took a special interest in the care of the greenery and plants around the church, the cemetery, and the church 
physical plant. He often served on church building and fund-raising committees. 

Years of commitment by Sunday School teachers was recognized on Sunday School Teacher Appreciation 
Day in March 1990. During Sunday School, each honoree was given a gardenia to wear, then invited to a 
covered-dish luncheon after morning worship. Certificates of appreciation were distributed and pins given to 
those who had served more than 20 years. Teachers included: W. L. Harris (54 years); Rick Rodgers, Sr. 
(45 years); Earline King (42 years); Cliff Evans (32 years); Richard Swaringen (31 years); Bill Ford (29 
years); Mildred Ford (26 years); Glen JuUan (24 years); Crystal Julian and Jann Johnson (20 years); Lula 
Davis, Jeter Lee, Ron Pare, Hazel Poole (17 years); Beth Cook (15 years); Rick Rodgers, Jr. (10 years); 
Pearle Fink and Clarence Horton (8 years); Padgett Goodman, Linda Hathaway, and Lawrence Vincent (5 
years); Becky Eudy, Darlene Goble, Peggy Litaker, and Jane Marlow (4 years); Marcia Carpenter and 
Debbie Myers (3 years); Lonnie Coggins, Lin Harwood, Sandra Harwood, Jeanie Measmer (2 years); Linda 
Chewning, Hope Johnson, Margaret Foster, and Wes Judy (1 year); Sunday School Supt. Keith Overcash (3 
years). Also honored were Children's Ministries Coordinators Marcia Carpenter and Gloria Cartrett (2 
years), and Supt. Linda Hathaway. Substitutes include Mary Lou Dalton, Delinda Rodgers, Henrietta Allen, 
Carlene Gregory, and Mark Goodman. 

The music program has been a vital part of the Mt. Olivet ministry from the earliest days. In August 1 992, 
Choir Director Ed Fink honored his choir members for their years of faithful service. Included were: Sarah 
Hough (52 years); BiU Fink (40 years); Glen Julian (35 years); Betty Lee (32 years); Jann Johnson and Bob 
Lee (30 years); Delaine Parker and Renda Welch (25 years); Joel Johnson (24 years); Sharon Miller (16 
years); Prebble Henrickson (12 years); Hope Beam (11 years); Eddie Hathaway (10 years); Randy Childers 
and Meredith Spry (9 years); Jane Marlow (7 years); Jennifer Triece, Sandra Harwood, Lin Harwood (5 
years); Wes Judy and Joe Morris (4 years); Beth Burrell, Doris Barbee, Shawn Gregory, Sandra McBride, 
Meredith McBride (2 years); and Betty Sethna and Paula Judy (1 year). In 1993, a Youth Choir was formed 
with four members, in addition to the Junior Choir. The first annual Singing on the Mount service in 
October 1997 was successful, with 80 persons in attendance, and church members have continued to meet on 

19 



the first Sunday after Labor Day, to enjoy great singing and homemade ice cream. 

Special Music during the past decade has been provided by the John Wesley Quartet; The Johnson Trio; The 
3Ds (Donna Childers, Donna Earnhardt, Donna LeRoy); Randy and Donna Childers; Joe Morris; Ed Fink; 
The Chancel Choir; Kay Yates on organ, piano, and keyboard, singing, and leading the Bell Choir; and by 
numerous others. In October 1998, Sandra Harwood resigned as Director of Cherub, Choristers and Youth 
Choirs, and Donna Childers took the position. The congregation celebrated Ed Fink's thirtieth year as choir 
director on 1 August 1999 with special services in the morning and that evening at a 6 o'clock concert, and 
by the presentation of a portrait. During 2000, the Bell Choir raised fimds to buy tunics and two octaves of 
tone chimes. Other special gifts enriched the music program. Ben and Mary Iris Goodman Isenhour donated 
a spinet piano in memory of Mr. and Mrs. Gilbert Isenhour and Mr. and Mrs. A. F. Goodman. Earlier, Mr. 
and Mrs. Isenhour had presented a gift of chimes to the church. Tone chimes donated by Phyllis Rodgers in 
memory of Rena G. Fink were dedicated on 1 April 2001 . 

Under Rev. Judy's leadership, new service and worship traditions emerged. Children's worship during the 
Sunday morning worship service began on 10 January 1993, with Renee Martin and Rev. Paula Judy as the 
first teachers. The tradition of honoring new church members at a covered dish luncheon began in January 
1994. In October 1994, Kelley Watkins joined the staff as Director of Children and Youth and as the new 
director of the Junior Choir. The annual tradition of placing luminaries outside the church gave way at 
Christmas 1 994 to having members donate lights on a Christmas tree in honor or memory of loved ones. 
The annual Hangmg of the Greens service became a much-anticipated event. During special Lenten 
services, ashes were imposed at the Ash Wednesday service, and Rev. Judy conducted services firom 12 
Noon to 3 p. m. on Good Friday, during which worshipers could attend at the most convenient time. 

A 10-member Kenya Team began raising funds for a return mission schedule for July 1994. Special 
offerings were taken, funds were raised through suppers, and the Boy Scouts hosted a pancake breakfast in 
March 1994. Members of the 1994 Team included: John and Mary Ann Brown; Nick and Jennifer 
DiFoggio; Rev. Wes Judy; Rick and Delinda Rodgers; Scott Rodgers; Bert Smith; and Jim Stowe. Upon 
their return. Rev. Judy wrote in his Journal that "there is a dorm (on which we worked) and a classroom 
building and a dining hall on the Farm on the road to the Game Park that will enable Africa Rural Institute to 
teach their people how to better care for their families, their animals and their land." 

Although the Kenya Team returned to Maua, Kenya in 1997 to build a hbrary at the Afi^ica Rural Institute in 
Kiengu, Rev. Judy was unable to accompany them as he was recovering from injuries he received during a 
church league softball game. Those who worked on the J.B. and Sarah Hough Library and Chapel included: 
John and Mary Ann Brown, Laurie Chichester, Andy Rodgers, Bert Smith, Joel Johnson, Rick and Delinda 
Rodgers, Scott Rodgers, and Jim Stowe. 

Scout Troop 34, sponsored by Mt. Olivet, has long been one of the largest and most successfiil of the area 
scouting programs. The program has long enjoyed superior leadership with Scout leaders such as Otis 
Rodgers and Lonnie Coggins, Don McManus, James Riggs, and David Settlemeyer. Annual fund-raising 
events have enabled Scouts to attend events such as the National Camporee and visit Washington, D. C. At 
local events, Troop 34 patrols routinely are recognized as outstanding "blue ribbon" campers. 

The congregation were faithful stewards during Rev. Judy's pastorate. The parsonage debt was paid in full 
in April 1998, well ahead of schedule. With that debt paid, the church began to look at the extensive 

20 



renovations necessary to preserve the beloved old sanctuary and buildings. The Trustees and Finance 
Committee made recommendations for needed repairs and renovation to the Administrative Board, and the 
Board scheduled a church conference for 7 June so that the congregation could consider the project. The 
congregational voted overwhelmingly to pursue extensive renovations for the physical plant, and a nine- 
person building committee was appointed: Doris Barbee, Bob Cook, Jim Fisher, Bill Ford, Eddie Hathaway, 
Ben Isenhour, James Riggs, Dorothy Simmons, and Joey Untz. The Committee was charged with both 
finalizing construction plans and also with developing a financial plan for securing necessary funds. On 12 
July 1998, the congregation approved the committee's plans, authorized a construction loan for the project, 
and set 16 August 1998 as Harvest Sunday, at which time the congregation could offer one-time gifts to 
begin the project. The initial offering yielded $47,000.00 for the restoration project. By January 2000, the 
restoration project was ahnost completed. About $200,000.00 had been raised for the project at that time. In 
2000, the church budget exceeded $200,000.00 for the first tune. 

The Kenya Team 2000, which included two high school students and one college student, raised funds to 
enable Rev. Kanake to purchase a van and to build a girl's dormitory. Following the return of the team in 
2000, Delinda Rodgers announced the need for financial assistance for Kenyan children whose families were 
unable to afford the costs of their education. Individuals and Sunday School classes in the church responded 
by gathering and sending funds to Rev. Kanake to subsidize the education of these children for the coming 
school year. Terrorist alerts in Africa led to the disappointing cancellation of the scheduled 2003 mission to 
Kenya, but the Kenya Team is in the process of forwarding funds to Misheck Kanake for the purchase of 
computers and other needs, so that the work in Kenya can proceed. 

Into the New Century 

The announcement in May 2001 that Rev. Judy would be moved to Pleasant Grove UMC in the Charlotte 
District came as a surprise to both Rev. Judy and his successor, Rev. James Bowen. Rev. Bowen had not 
expected to move and was equally surprised to find himself assigned to serve the Mt. Olivet congregation. 
Rev. Bowen and his talented wife Debbie quickly found their way into the hearts of the congregation, 
however, as he began to identify and meet needs of both the church and its individual members. 

An ad hoc committee was appointed to investigate plans for the renovation and expansion of an aging 
Memorial Hall. Under the chairmanship of Bill Ford, the committee met with architect Dennis Yates to 
develop plans that could be submitted to the congregation for approval. Due to the unsettled economy, 
however, including the threatened closure of the Pillowtex plant in KannapoHs, the congregation rejected the 
$500,000.00 expansion program by a vote of 45-85 at a congregational meeting on 16 March 2003. 

Mt. Olivet begins a third century of service with pride in its accomplishments of the past, and filled with the 
spirit of service for the future. Plans are underway to continue and strengthen ministries and missions both 
locally and world-wide. Stirring musical and revival services have invigorated the church, as has the 
infusion of new leaders in many vital areas. A re- vitalized Youth program has Mt. Ohvet's young people 
involved in annual ski trips, the Crop Walk, Halloween parties, Duke University Youth Day, Swim Parties, 
Scavenger Hunts, food collections, and a myriad of other activities. Scott and Kristen Rodgers, Matthew and 
Cheri Hopkins, and Brian and Vicki Ford lead the Youth, while Meredith Spry and Jeanne Zentmeyer co- 
chair Children's Ministries. The outstanding Scouting program continues with Lonnie Coggins as Scouts 
Coordinator, Chad Drye as Troop 34 Scoutmaster, and Cubmaster Gina Benson leading the Tiger Cubs, Cub 
Scouts, and Webelos. Lynn Raymond is the Troop Committee Chairperson. In the Girl Scout program, 

21 



Kimberly Martin is leader of Brownie Troop 122, Bambi Hart guides Cadet Troop 315, Sherry Fisher is 
Daisy Troop 1 138 leader, and Patty Murray is Junior Troop leader. 

The traditional strong emphasis on missions continues. In 2002, Mt. Olivet continued to support CCM, 
CYAN, the New Hope Community Mission, the Society of St. Andrews, Habitat for Humanity, and many 
other programs. The reorganized United Methodist Men support the Scouting program and the Children's 
Home, provide Christmas "treat bags," and welcome the community to Memorial Hall for a post-Easter 
Sunrise Service breakfast. The United Methodist Women are active in all areas of church life, raising funds 
for foreign missions and local good works through their annual Fall Bazaar, and sponsoring an annual 
Mission Study in February. The Circles also engage in fond-raising projects, such as catering meals, in 
addition to providing interesting programs and opportunities for individual spiritual growth. The XYZ Club 
has provided "Extra Years of Zest" for its members since 1974. 

The church is widely known for its rich music program. With Chancel Choir Director Ed Fink, organist Mary 
Iris Isenhour, Donna Childers leading the children and providing accompaniments on the keyboard and 
piano, and Sandra McBride conducting the Handbell Choir, as well as numerous other talented soloists and 
musicians in the choral program, the new century promises to be filled with an even more "joyous noise." 
Under the capable leadership of Rev. Bowen, moving worship services and special musical numbers 
symbolize the spirit-filled congregation that is Mt. Olivet as the old church embarks on an exciting third 
century of stewardship and service. 

It has not been possible to record in these few pages the stories of all those ministers and laypersons who 
have sacrificed and struggled, prayed and persevered, in order to advance the work of this historic church. 
Perhaps a quote from former pastor Lewis Gibbs says it best: 

But it has been a great host of witnesses and faithfol followers of our Lord, inspired by His 
spirit. Thus Mt. Olivet United Methodist Church stands as a memorial to the cause of Christ 
in this community and His mission throughout the world because of the blessings and love of 
God upon Mt. OUvet and because multitudes of his children have given response to His call. 
May God's blessings continue to rest upon Mt. Olivet and its people, which truly is a great 
heritage. 

Amen. 



22 



1 884 Registry of Members 



[The date the member joined Mt. Olivet is shown opposite his or her name] 



Levi J. Little 


1850 


William C. Litaker 


1880 


June C. Little 


1850 


Georgia C. Ritchie 


1880 


Mary M. Litaker 


1850 


Mary E. Cook 


1880 


Caleb W. Litaker 


1868 


John A. Cline 


1880 


Hattie Cook 


1868 


John A. Scott 


1882 


Daniel C. Furr 


1868 


Alice Cook Basinger 


1880 


Mary A. Fun- 


1868 


W. F. Goodman 


1880 


Margaret 1. Litaker 


1868 


Omnia Litaker 


1880 


EHzabeth C. Fink 


1868 


Mary E. Litaker Voils 


1880 


Martha G. Earnhardt 


1869 


Ella Williford 


1880 


D. Taylor Litaker 


1869 


James L. Moore 


1880 


John A. Fink 


1871 


E. W. Misenheimer 


1880 


Franklin S.Goodman 


1871 


Sarah McDaniel 


1880 


Martin H. Winecoff 


1871 


Sarah Murph 


1880 


Sarah A. Winecoff 


1871 


Mary F. Goodman 


1881 


Martha E. Fink 


1871 


John Little 


1881 


Hannah Slough 


1871 


Sarah M. Little 


1881 


Margaret A. Fink 


1871 


Sarah M. Litaker 


1882 


Ruflis M. Fink 


1871 


Joseph N. Winecoff 


1882 


Margaret L. Seamone 


1871 


Caleb J. Goodman 


1882 


Daniel M. Furr 


1875 


George R Winecoff 


1882 


Martha R. Fun- 


1875 


Maggie E. Winecoff 


1882 


Laura J. Goodman 


1875 


David Cook 


1884 


Josephine L. Daywalt 


1876 


William N. Cline 


1884 


John W. Daywalt 


1876 


Mary E. Winecoff 


1884 


Rachel E. Cook 


1879 


Thomas E. Winecoff 


1884 


Sallie E. Little 


1879 






Mary A. Earnhardt 


1879 


TRUSTEES 




Lillie A. Scott 


1879 






Elizabeth Seamone 


1879 


Roger Daywalt 


1855 


James A. Earnhardt 


1879 


Levi Fink 


1855 






Daniel Litaker 


1855 






Nicholas Cook 


1855 






Samuel Murph 


1858 



24 



Roll of Pastors 



Mount Olivet United Methodist Church 

South Carolina Conference 

Catawba District, Sugar Creek Circuit: 

William B. Bamett 1815-1816 

Reuben Tucker 1817-1818 

Hartwell Spain 1819 

Zaccheus Dowling 1 820 

Jacob Hill 1821 

Thomas A. Rosamond 1822 

Jeremiah Freeman 1 823 

Daniel Asbury 1 824 

Cheraw District, Sugar Creek Circuit: 

Ehsha Askew 1825 

Daniel F. Christenbury 1 826 

Daniel F. Wade 1827 

Lincobiton District, Sugar Creek Circuit: 

Benjamin Bell 1828-1829 

Absolom Brown 1830-1831 

James J. Richardson John K. Morse 1 832 

John Watts 1833 

[In 1834, the name of Sugar Creek Circuit was changed to Charlotte Circuit] 

Lincobiton District, Charlotte Circuit: 

T.R. Walsh 1834 

Jacob Ozier 1835 

^ D. G.McDaniel J. G. Postell 1836 

W. R. Smith J. P. Kerton 1836-1837 

William T. Harrison Mark Russell 1838 

Jacky M. Bradley Martin Eady 1839 

P.G.Bowman C.Smith 1840 

Benjamin Hamilton 1 84 1 

Michael Robbins John A. Porter 1842 

J.L.Potter 1843 



[In 1843, Mt. Olivet - then Rogers Church - was moved from Charlotte Circuit 
to Cheraw District, Center Circuit,] 

Cheraw District, Center Circuit: 



John McMackin 1 844- 1 845 

W.L.Pegues 1846 

Lincolnton District, Concord Circuit: 

Jacky M. Bradley 1847 

W.C.Patterson 1848-1849 

W.L.Pegues 1850 

J. D. Laney 1851 

W. S.Haltom 1852 

Charlotte District, Concord Circuit: 

W. S.Haltom 1853 

Paul F. Kistler 1854-1855 

Jacob L. Shuford 1856 

John Watts 1857-1858 

Aaron G.Stacy 1859 

W.W.Thompson P.L.Herman 1860-1861 

Sandy Wood 1862 

Sandy Wood Willis Haltom, Supply 1863 

James Stacy Willis Haltom, Supply 1864 

Lewis Scarboro Willis Haltom, Supply 1 865 

S. A. Roper 1865 

J. T.Kilgo Willis Haltom 1866 

M.C.Davis 1867 

R.R.Pegues 1868-1869 

Wadesboro District, Concord Circuit: 

Samuel Leard 1870 



[In 1870, the Minutes of the South Carolina Conference describe Concord Circuit as 
being in the Wadesboro District. 1 870 was a year of great changes as the Cabarrus 
County area was transferred to the North Carolina Conference and Concord Methodist 
(now Central UMC) was made a station church, leaving the Concord Circuit.] 



26 



North Carolina Conference 



Salisbury District, Rowan and Union Circuit: 

Thomas L. Triplett 1871-1872 

Charlotte District, Mt. Pleasant Circuit: 

J.S.Nelson 1873 

J. P. Simpson W. S. Rone 1874 

Charlotte District, Concord Circuit: 

M. C. Thomas 1875 
Charlotte District, Mt. Pleasant Circuit: 

A.D.Betts 1876 

Charlotte District, Concord Circuit: 

J.C.Thomas 1877-1878 

W.D.Lee 1879 

D.L. Earnhardt 1880 

Salisbury District, Concord Circuit: 

D.L. Earnhardt 1881 

H.P.Cole 1882-1883 

ZebedeeRush 1884-1885 

W. L. Grissom 1886-1888 

M. V. Sherrill 1889 

Thomas W. Smith 1890-1891* 

Louis M. Brower 1892 

A. R. Surratt 1893-1894 
W. H. L. McLaurin 1895-1896 

^ G. G.Harley 1896-1898 

J.S.Nelson 1898-1900 

F. W. Bradley 1900-1903 

W. V. Honeycutt 1903-1906 

, Albert Sherrill 1906-1907 

B. A. York 1907-1909 
W. P.McGhee 1909-1911 
W.T.Albright 1911-1915 
P.L.TerreU 1915-1917 



p. L. Shore 


1917-1919 


N. C. Williams 


1919-1921 


W. A. Rollins 


1921-1923 


Seymour Taylor 


1923-1924 


A. G. Loftin 


1924-1928 


E. E. Snow 


1928-1930 


J. A, Baldwin 


1930-1932 


Mark Clegg 


1932-1933 


J.N.Randall 


1933-1937 



* During the pastorate of Thomas W. Smith in 1890, Mt. Olivet became a part of the 
Western North Carolina Conference. 

Rev. Randall served the Concord Circuit from 1933 to 1937. Mt. Olivet was made a 
station church and its parsonage built in 1937; he then served Mt. Olivet from 1937 to 
1939. 

Salisbury District: 



J. N. RandaU 


1937-1939 


F. W. Kiker 


1939-1943 


C. B. Newton 


1943-1944 


W. B. Davis 


1944-1948 


C. 0. Kennerly 


1948-1953 


M. C. Ellerbe 


1953-1955 


Paul Bruton 


1955-1959 


J. J. Powell 


1959-1960 


Joseph M. Taylor, Jr. 


1960-1963 


Albert W. Wellons 


1963-1967 


I. Pressley Rutledge ' 


1967-1973 


Lewis C. Gibbs 


1973-1979 


Richard B. Jarrett 


1979-1983 


Benjamin F. Wilson 


1983-1988 


K. Wesley Judy 


1988-2001 


James Bowen 


2001- 



Those Who Have Gone Forth from Mt. Olivet to Serve as Ministers 

Thomas E. Wineeofif 
Milton Litaker 
Clarence Williams 
Fred Shirm 
LeRoy A. Scott 
Cathy Cook Childers 



28